List (leaning when not sailing) to starboard.

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

List (leaning when not sailing) to starboard.

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

The issue of the Ballad having a list to starboard (permanent leaning or healing to starboard, when not sailing) (Thanks to Markus for introducing the right english word) has been mentioned in different discussions on other issues. I therefor open this new discussion for the specific issue of list.

Our Ballad has the starboard List too. I never thought it was so strange since most installations are found to starboard. Toilet with tank, main electrical cable and diesel tank, but maybe its true what Markus (Vagabond Dreamer) writes, that these installations are not enough to cause the list. And Ulrik is rigth too, it would be interesting to see if the Ballad has a list without the mast on. As far as I remember it does.

Personally I would like to know how much weight it would take on the side deck, to remove the list, and this is something we all could experiment with. Just bring friends or family to the marina, have them get on board and stand on the port side deck untill the list is gone, and ask them their weight. (Don't involve wifes and mothers).

We put everything heavy to port. Even the autopilot (tiller pilot) was installed to port, even though it is set up from the factory to be used to starboard. Drinking water in bottles is kept behind the port backrest. Heater is installed to port. Anchor and chain is moved ahead, and is now in the center. One of the 4 batteries is positioned a little to port, the other three are centered. But there is still a little list.

Jesper Milling
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: List (leaning when not sailing) to starboard.

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-jiiku wrote on Nov 15, '08
Why

It goes straight ahead like a train
(Menee kuin juna, vaikka kuinka puhaltaisi..)

Jere
msn-the vagabond dreamer wrote on Nov 19, '08
Hello Folks...
Well....this past weekend I took all the "Stuff" out of the starboard locker so I could get access to the area under the cockpit sole and I took some measurments and pictures. I'm thinking I'll have plent of room to install a small engine heated water heater. I'm looking at ice chest and water coolers for something about the right size to hole a 3 gallon container.
While the locker was empty and only a 1/2 tank of fuel...the list was almost gone...only a few degrees, but still a bit of list to that side. If I stood on the port side of the boat...she sat pretty much level. I weigh about 200 lbs (90.7 Kilos)
I usually keep quite a bit of gear in that locker...including my small (1600 Watt) generator (about 60 lbs wet) and some tools, so it could easily get close to 200 lbs there. SO...it looks like most of the list it caused by the equipment and stuff stored in my starboard locker that causes the noticable starboard list.
I'll keep you posted on the water heater project as it progresses.
Antworten