Stanchion

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Stanchion

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a new stanchion, and stanchion base, please?

Unfortunately one of Gancia Girl's Stanchions has been damaged by a fishing boat which lost control whilst entering Pwllheli harbour.

The skipper of the fishing boat failed to notice that the flooding tide was pushing him into the pile moorings, until it was too late to avoid a collision with moored boats. The port quarter of his boat hit an Ohlson 35 before hitting Gancia Girl, causing some damage to the hull just below the toerail, and the stanchion.

A local boatyard will carry out repairs, but they don't know where they can find a stanchion to match, so if anyone knows of a source it would be a great help.

Thanks,

Tim
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: Stanchion

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-redmed6 wrote on May 13, '08
I'm assuming stainless: any hope the bent stanchion length can be "rolled" back into shape by a motor cycle repair shop (or a section bender)?

Stanchion base maybe more of a challenge: I can't suggest a supplier.
msn-patentnick1 wrote on May 13, '08
Hi Tim.

Most chandlers should stock stanchions. I 've noticed them in most local shops in Greece. If not, check out www.vetus.com
If you still can't find one, I can buy and ship one to you from here. As for the stanchion bases, I have no idea where you could find one. From the photo, the base doesn't look too bad.
Most likely, you can salvage it.

Nicholas
Moments of Clarity #334
msn-gem2martin wrote on May 19, '08
A number of years ago I bought replacement stantions and bases at Vega Marine, in Folunde, Sweden. Phone:039-292951. or vega.marine@swipnet.se.

I do not know if they are still in business

Jerry Martin
Alte Liebe #1266
msn-ballad775 wrote on May 19, '08
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Because the stanchions are a specific type, they do not appear to be readily available in any of the chandlers I've tried, and my local boatyard people have only ever seen them on a Ballad.

Hopefully Jerry's suggestion of Vega Marine might prove fruitful.

Tim
jespermilling wrote on May 20, '08
Hi Tim

A little trick is necessary to find Vega Marine on Google. The Swedes don't spell "marine" with an "E" they spell it "Marin". But knowing that it is easy enough, and you find Vega Marin at http://vegamarin.jetshop.se/

Click on "S철k din b책t" (Seek your boat) then click on "Albin", and then on "Ballad."

They have different stuff specifically for the Ballad, but apparently not a stanchion. But don't give up, write them an eamil, they understand english, and ask them about the stanchion.

Maybe it would be a good idea however if someone with a better knowledge of swedish, would post the proper swedish term for stanchion. In danish it is "Scepter".

Jesper Milling
msn-josin3092 wrote on May 25, '08
If you cannot get a new stanchion and base fitting, they can be straightened. I've done it, after being attacked by a mooring pile.
Thus:
Remove stanchion. Tape over all holes except for the bottom, and fit hose clips over the tape. Fill stanchion with fine, dry, sand. Plug the hole, tight, (piece of broomstick handle?).
Bore a 25mm diameter hole in a stout piece of timber, 50x100 say, through the 50mm thickness, near one end. A piece about three feet long should do fine.
With the stanchion end inserted in the hole in the wood first, with the other end of the wood braced between your foot and against something solid, use your weight to bend the stanchion judiciously back straight, a little at a time. It can never be quite straight of course.
The base fitting should be removed. Cut an angled slot in 'long' side of the vertical, almost,but not quite through. With the angled piece removed, straighten up the tube and get a welder (TIG) to weld it back together again and polished.
Good luck!
John
jespermilling wrote on May 26, '08
My grandfather was a plumber, and a sheet metal smith (??) ad I reme,ber he used the sand trick for bending pipes. Any professional should be able to straighten your stanchion, he might even use heat.
msn-ballad775 wrote on Jun 16, '08
Thanks again for all the advice, I've been away on holiday which is why I'm only just replying.

The boatyard think they can straighten the stanchion, and repair the base so, hopefully, problem solved.

It's amazing how the repair bill has added up.
Lifting the boat out, un-stepping the mast, doing the fibreglass repairs, re-spraying the side of the hull, mending the stanchion and base, new lifelines, re-stepping the mast and putting the boat back in the water; It's going to cost the fishing boat's insurance company about £3,500!!

I'll wait until the end of the season to have the work done so I can still sail this summer.

Tim
Antworten