Genua III

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Genua III

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

Dear Ballad-Friends,

I'm planning to buy a new Genua III. What are the best dimensions for the sail? What are your experiences with high aspect sails? Thank you for your hints.

Kind regards

Michael
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: Genua III

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-patentnick1 wrote on Jun 5, '08
Hi Michael:

Three years ago, I substituted the No. 1 Genoa on my roller with a No.3. I used the same dimensions that were specified in the Albin Ballad manual but went for a slightly heavier fabric. The area where I sail in has either very little wind or quite a lot of wind so, with the No. 1 Genoa, the boat was either underpowered or overpowered. I use a gennaker as a light-wind sail and have been thinking of putting that on a roller. I've been very happy with the performance of the Genoa 3. On a run, it can be poled out to windward with the main goose-winged, or tightened inside the lifelines while beating. On both occasions, I've seen speeds close to 8 knots. Also it's easier to tack and with the high clew the visibility is greatly improved.

Nicholas
Moments of Clarity #334
msn-frenzb9782 wrote on Jul 18, '08
Hi Michael, we changed from hanked on to a furling headsail system this spring. Our old head sails were all very tired and it was the right moment to make the change. Since I don't feel that a single sail is good for all the diferent sailing circumstances I asked my sailmaker (Quantum Sails) to make 2 new headsails; a 135% furling genoa and a 95% high clew high aspect one. I am now one week underway in my sailing holidays and so far we only had winds varying between 4 to 6 Beaufort. Sofar we only used the 95% jib. This sail is just great and I can only recomend it. The Jib has a couple of advantages. The high clew means a very clear view which is great in crowded waters (we have plenty of those in Holland). Another advantage is that, allthough it's a High aspect sail it still can be sheeted on the standard genoa track of the Ballad. The sails tacks easily even if we have to tack in very narrow waters, while it stays powerfull in a big range of winds. I feel we are gonna use it most of time. Hope it's of any use to you.

Smooth sailing,

Frans,
Aemilia III - B978
msn-michaelwilhelm2 wrote on Jul 21, '08
Hello, Frans,

this sounds very interesting. Can you give me the dimensions of your new jib?

Kind regards

Michael
msn-frenzb9782 wrote on Jul 21, '08
Hi Michael,

These are the dimensions I have taken from my quotation from Quantum Sails:

Furling Genoa #3 95%:
Leach : 11,20m
L.P. : 3,55m
Size : 19,90m2
DACRON :- 7.62oz HIGH ASPECT DACRON crosscut.

This sail is made from a slightly heavier cloth than our #2 135%, which is made out of 6.62oz High Aspect dacron. I also considered a laminated cloth, which has more stability in terms of shape, specialy when it's blowing harder. However the overall lifespan of laminated cloth is still much shorter (average 6 years is my experience with other boats, which may be very long for a racing yachtsman, but is still very short for an average cruising sailor) than the conventional dacron, which is the reason why I have chosen for Dacron.
If you want more details, you could allways contact Quantum Sails. My contactperson over there is Nic Bol, email nbol(at)quantumsails.com.

I hope this will help you to make your decission easier.

All te best,

Frans
Aemilia III - B #978
msn-frenzb9782 wrote on Jul 21, '08
Hi Michael,
Just after I posted my last message I saw I wrote 'Leach' where I meant to say 'Luff'. Sorry for that.

Frans
Aemilia III - B #978
msn-frenzb9782 wrote on Dec 3, '08
Hi everyone,

I finally got hold of a photo of our new nr 3 Genua as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I've posted in my photoalbum.

Frans
Antworten