Mast Corrosion

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Mast Corrosion

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

The 1973 Selden mast is down and while installing new lights and doing a few other jobs the rigger has taken off a few fittings to check for corrosion. He took off the bracket on which the spreaders are mounted and found 2 areas of corrosion on opposite sides of the mast near the leading edge of the mast.The corrosion is approx. one centimetre diameter and half the section thickness has gone.

Any views or has anyone had this problem or needed to replace a ballad mast?
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: Mast Corrosion

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

silasmariner wrote on Feb 16, '09
In general terms, up to 20% corrosion of the thickness is max. Fit external doubler plates or ideally cut the mast and slide in a length of extrusion to form a doubler. Perhaps there is already a joint and internal doubler in this area?
This is a common problem. Zinc chromate or other form of insulation should have been applied below all s/s attachments to help prevent this.
A qualified rigger should be familiar with doing this repair.

Regards
Iain
baludick wrote on Jan 4, edited on Jan 4
dugort said

The 1973 Selden mast is down and while installing new lights and doing a few other jobs the rigger has taken off a few fittings to check for corrosion. He took off the bracket on which the spreaders are mounted and found 2 areas of corrosion on opposite sides of the mast near the leading edge of the mast.The corrosion is approx. one centimetre diameter and half the section thickness has gone.

Any views or has anyone had this problem or needed to replace a ballad mast?

Robert

Had to replace my mast this summer due to corrosion at the level of the water-trap just above the deck. The corrosion was from the inside outwards as the foam water trap trapped salt and water which sets up an electrolytic reaction. I have replaced the mast with a Z-Spars mast as they were very helpful at adapting it so that the standing rigging that was only 1 year old could be re-used without modification and used the tangs and mast heel from the old mast. It was also over £1,000 less than the Selden quote. It has all new wiring and a tricolour LED mast head light. There is provision to attach an inner fore-stay for use with a storm jib or No.3 or 4 jibs as I have a Furlex fitted. Balu is 1974 number 651. I have noticed a significant improvement in the set of the sails and ability to tweak them and she points higher into the wind. The addition of tie rods to hold the deck ring rigid has stopped sagging of the halyards in higher winds. The cost was about £3,500 for the mast excluding standing rigging. The cost of repair was put at £1,500 at least and the strength would always be questionable. There was also a lot of corrosion around fittings and sheaves were showings signs of wear.

To avoid the same problem the Z-Spars mast has an impermeable plastic seal above the foam of the water trap with 2 drain holes.

Dick ....... Balu 651
Antworten