A multi-purpose table

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

A multi-purpose table

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

Two summers ago, while on a single-handed 4-hour sail, I found myself popping down to the chart table more often than I wanted. At the same time, I had started to be unhappy with the original teak saloon table. First, its sides folded downward, blocking somewhat the access to the bilge (underway, I like checking the bilge quite often). Second, it was simply too heavy for my taste. I decided to make a new saloon table out of 19mm mahogany-faced light ply with sides folding upward. I also sized it according to a half-folded Admiralty Chart (approx. 85cm x 60cm). As luck would have it, it fits beautifully over the companionway, leaving enough space for working the coachroof winches. I’ve added a couple of wooden slides on the underside that fit inside the companionway hatch rails. A pair of strops (not pictured) hold the table firmly in place and a pair of elastic bands over a nylon waterproof sleeve take care of the map. The end result is a truly functional table which serves both as an outside chart table and dining table (see photos). Furthermore, the choice of wood makes it much lighter than the original and with five coats of Epifanes Rapidclear it also looks quite smart Incidentally, I’ve used the same kind of wood to make a new galley counter three years ago. It’s still as good as new.
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: A multi-purpose table

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-s/v raven wrote on Jul 10, '04
That my friend is a neat idea. I think I'll fashion a similar chart table
for Raven. However, I HATE cockpit tables myself - LOL.

Thanks;
Gregg
S/V Raven
Hull #485
Stuart, FL. USA
Antworten