Cockpit Tent

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Cockpit Tent

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

I am thinking of making a cockpit tent this winter . It would be nice to have standing head room so I can stretch my legs and look out at the rain! when weatherbound at anchor or on a mooring. I have been thinking of pulling the boom up with the topping lift and stringing the ridge from the end of the boom to the backstay. Advice +- photos from anyone who has a cockpit tent would be most welcome.

Best wishes

David
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: Cockpit Tent

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-duchess191 wrote on Oct 19, '05
We have a fantastice awning, made from an old No 2. It can double as protection from the rain, although it's not as large at the sides as a cockpit tent. It can be sloped against the rainy side. The batons which keep it stiff have been carefully measured so that it rolls up and fits in a pilot berth. We control the height on the main halyard (but you could use the topping lift).
Unfortunately I can't find any photos, but I'm sure that they do exist!
msn-falmouthballad1 wrote on Oct 19, '05
Thanks Janie

If you do come across some pics I would be most grateful if you could post them on the discussion board. No hurry and I will understand if they don't turn up. In the mean time I will lay out my old No 2 genoa and try to work out how you might have made the awning.

Best wishes

David
jespermilling wrote on Oct 20, '05
I couldn't find pictures on the internet, but I have seen very elegant cockpit tents, that zip onto the dodger/sprayhood, are carried by two braces (???) that tilt down behind and on the outer sides of the cockpit coaming. The braces are hinged like the dodger braces, in only one position on each side. . They have a headroom which is like a foot (30 cm) or more higher than the dodger, windows in the sides, and sides that roll up. We would love to have one like it, but we do have a much more rectangular boxy appearing cockpit tent that works too. If I see one I will take a picture of it, if I find a picture I will post a link to it here.

Jesper Milling.
msn-duchess191 wrote on Oct 27, '05
Actually, I've checked with our crew member who made it (she does canvas work), and it was an old No 3 (micro cut!) She was going to erect it this week (weather permitting) and take a photo. If you'd like to get an old jib to me, I'm sure that she'd make one for you (for a fee - not exorbitant!).

Best wishes,

Janie
msn-falmouthballad1 wrote on Oct 29, '05
Thanks Janie

I will email you about this.

David
Antworten