Hot and Cold water system

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Hot and Cold water system

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

Hello
If anyone has installed a pressurized water system I would appreciate comments.

Thanks
Gary
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: Hot and Cold water system

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-patentnick1 wrote on Dec 9, '05

Hi Gary:

I have a pressurized water system (only cold water). In addition to the water tank under the V-berth, I've also installed two flexible 100-litre tanks underneath the forward part of both saloon settees. The pump for the water system is under the toilet base and connected to the three tanks via T-junctions. Each tank hose has an isolation valve. I have two water outlets--one at the galley sink and one at the lazarette for a cockpit shower. I have removed the sink and faucet at the heads and converted the space into a drawer as I found it inconvenient to use. Under the galley sink, I've installed an accummulator tank which is important if you don't want the pump to run continuously. I've toyed with the idea of adding a calorifier for hot water but only if I could also somehow add a shower as well--it's the only thing that I miss in the Ballad but it would involve major surgery. At any rate, in my opinion, if you want to improve your water system, the installation of extra water tanks is a big plus. If you want me to post some photos, let me know.

Nicholas

"Moments of Clarity" #334
msn-sail3022 wrote on Dec 9, '05
Hi Nicholas, Thanks very much for your responce. Pics would be great. My Ballad is on the hard and buttoned up for the winter so I wont be doing anything till the weather breaks. Post pics at your convenience.

Gary
msn-ulrikkejser wrote on Nov 3, '08
Hi Nicolas

Any progress in adding a calorifier to your water system. I would like to see pictures of the connection to the engine sweet water cooling circuit.

I attach a drawing of my future system.

Ulrik
"My" #336
msn-patentnick1 wrote on Nov 3, '08
Hi Ulrik:

I decided not install a calorifier. I did revamp the entire plumbing system, from the seacocks to the hoses but realised that it's easier to just boil some water when hot water is needed. This summer, we tried a solar shower (a black nylon bag that holds 10 or 20 litres of water and is heated by the sun) and it worked very nicely, both for washing dishes and taking a quick shower. If the Ballad had a proper heads compartment with shower, I'd probably add a calorifier, but I usually shower on the stern platform. Also, even a rectangular calorifier would take more locker space than I wanted.

Nicholas
Moments of Clarity #334
msn-the vagabond dreamer wrote on Nov 4, '08
Hello Nicholas;
I've been thinking of adding a water heater to the Vagabond Dreamer. My thoughs are to use recovered engine heat...possibly about a 5 gallon water tank foamed into a
high R factor ice chest for insulation. I think I have plenty of room for something like that under the cockpit floor just aft of my muffler. I was wondering if anyone had tried that approach? It would be fairly easy to plumb it seems.
I also have the solar showers...the do work pretty well, but always seem to be in the way of a line or something.
msn-ulrikkejser wrote on Nov 11, '08
Hi Nicolas
I suspect that you live in a mild subtropical climate and that you could almost boil water in the solar shower bag. This is not the case in Denmark. My wife would very much like hot and cold running shower so that is what she will get, I hope. Like Vagabond Dreamer describes there must be losts of room under the cockpit floor above the propeller shaft for the calorifier.
"My" #336
msn-patentnick1 wrote on Nov 11, '08
Hi Ulrik:

You're right, I live in Greece, so on-board hot showers aren't a necessity--at least for seven months out of the year. Isotherm makes a rectangular calorifier which I've considered buying and installing but it's one of those things that I keep putting off. I'd probably locate it in the starboard locker, above the fuel tank, against the galley counter bulkhead. I know that there's plenty of space under the cockpit sole but, to me, having good access to the stern gland, the gearbox and the water pump is more important. It's tight enough as it is. I can't imagine what it'd be like if I put an extra tank or calorifier in there. I'm looking forward to seeing your installation.

Nicholas
Moments of Clarity #334
msn-the vagabond dreamer wrote on Nov 12, '08
Hello Nicholas and Ulrik....
I hope to be down on the boat this weekend...maybe I can take some pictures and measurments of the area under the cockpit sole. I have a Yanmar 2gm in the Dreamer...all the water pump and such are accessed through the front cover under the steps. The shaft seal and tranny are all inside the engine bay and accessed through the starboard locker removable panel ...after the rear engine cover is removed. The area I'm considering would be aft of that, where my muffler resides. I don't think it would complicate any service work as there really isn't anything there...just empty space. I'm only thinking about 3 to 5 gallons, so it wouldn't be a very large device.
I really don't want to add much weight to the rear of the boat either. I definitely didn't want to add any weight to the starboard side as the boat already list that way as it is, and if I'm out...I need all the space for anchors and gear.
The rear of the engine cover has some access holes that I could run the hot water lines to the tank through and being located there they would not have to be very long and not lose much heat before reaching the tank.
So far it's just Ideas...maybe this weekend I can actually start looking for a correctly sized ice chest and tank to make it work.
msn-ulrikkejser wrote on Nov 13, '08
Hi Nicolas and Vagabond
You raise interesting questions about boat balance and we might need at new thread: "Why do Ballads lean to SB". I wonder how much or little weight would disrupt the balance. Clearly the 35 liters in the diesel tant is not sufficient. Even if the tank is empty my Ballad leans. An additional 35 kilos for hot water would do something but I think greater forces are in play. My guess so far is that the mast is not exactly vertical.
I plan to use a 20 liter (5.28 us gallon) Isotemp Slimline calorifier dimensions length 645mm 25.3" - diameter 295mm 11.6" weighing 11,5 kilos and a Shurflo Junior pump. An expansion tank should not be needed but I will probably install one anyway.
Have you consideret that when you run out of Ah you are unable to wash your hands or make coffee? It's not at major crisis but I will see if its possible to have the manual as well as the electrical pump on the system.
I look forward to any pictures and messurements.
"My" #336
msn-the vagabond dreamer wrote on Nov 13, '08
Hello Ulrik...
I'd like to know also what caused the list! My water tank is of course up front and on centerline...my sewage holding tank is rarely ever used...an is very small. The fuel tank is only 60-70 lbs when full. It doesn't look like there is that much in the way of extra weight on the starboard side. The stove, sink, and refrig are not that heavy either.
I've moved my starting and lighting batteries to the port side of the engine compartment as well as my charging system and I use the quarter berth as storage for things like bottled water and such and I still get a bit of list to the starboard.
msn-ulrikkejser wrote on Nov 14, '08
Hi Vagabond,
It would be nice to know if the boat leans when the mast is off.
Ulrik
"My" #336
Antworten