Table stability

Antworten
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Table stability

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

My table was loos. It would woble if touched it, and the whole dinner would fall into the seats if I pushed it when sitting myself down. The one base was loos, the other leg was broken and stuffed with a wooden rod. I converted the table to a one legged table, hoping the new stuff would be stiffer, but now the floor is to soft and the cones in the fittings do not match. I will have to do something about it once more. Does anybody have a good suggestion?
BalladExchangeDB
Capt'n

Re: Table stability

Beitrag von BalladExchangeDB »

msn-patentnick1 wrote on Jul 8, '04
My table wobbles a little but not nearly as much as you describe. A single leg support would work but only for the cockpit where you can mount the base on the cockpit sole and secure it with a large backing plate underneath. Inside, the location of the bilges prevent the mounting a solid single-leg support. My suggestion would be to strengthen the original supports with some fiberglass tape and epoxy and substitute the broken leg with a new one made out of stainless steel tubing. Occasionally, I feel jealous of the super solid dining tables on massive supports that I see on other yachts but I've decided that as a Ballad owner a wobbly table is very well compensated for by the boat's other qualities.
msn-basinet wrote on Mar 4, '05
Jesper,

Had the same problem, I built a new table (a bit larger), but used a few minor parts from the old one.

The forward end is attached to the mast via a hinge affair. The hinge has a slider, with a locking pin, that works up/or down on a section of genoa track screwed to the mast. While stowed, the table nests around the mast and can be secured by either a shock cord or by webbing with a buckle . Used one of the old legs, modified for stability, for supporting the after end. A few disadvantages are; it restricts the passage to the forepeak a bit, storage of the separate leg, and it can't be used in the cockpit. The open space in the cabin is great and offsets all this.

Will post photos if you are interested.

Regards,
Dan (Aqua di Vita)
jespermilling wrote on Mar 5, '05

My own solution is
somewhat different and almost finished, but I am always interested in solutions,
and others might not yet have decided on a solution, so I think posting photos
is a very good idea.

Venlig Hilsen / Kind regards
msn-jesper_milling2 wrote on Dec 22, '05
My new table stand is now finished, and here is a picture of foundation, which is made out of plywood completely glassed in with epoxy.

More pictures will follow.
Antworten